Friday, February 17, 2023

Biography 160: Annex building


 I saw Karjon Hall when I was a kid. We used to go to the "Bangladesh Shishu Academy." Karjon Hall was just on the opposite side of the road. I knew that it was part of the University of Dhaka. Later I visited Kola Bhaban and Commerce Building with my older sister. Kola Bhaban was for the Arts department. While studying humanities, I knew I would have to come here (Kola Bhaban) to study any subject. The truth is I didn't like that place at all.

But, you know, I used to do things I didn't like.

After passing the written admission test, we had to attend the in-person viva exam. I went inside. All faculty deans were sitting behind a curve table. I sat in the middle. Someone asked me which subject I wanted to study? Before me, I knew other girls were taking Political Science, Psychology etc. But I had a different issue with choosing the program. So, I told them, "Geography." I could hear the surprising noise in the room. The head of the Geography department was there. Mr. Ziaushams. He said, "Good Choice," with surprised eyes and a little smile.

I got to know my program, which is from the Science department. Though they allow students from Humanities too. My optional subjects were Economics and Psychology. Our class will be held in Annex Building.

I didn't know where it was. We checked the map. It is on the opposite side of Dhaka Medical College and Shahid Minner. I had visited Shahid Minar before but never noticed this Annex building.

Later my younger sister started her studies at Dhaka Medical College. So, we 3 sisters were at the University of Dhaka.

Following 5 years, I studied in the Annex building. Our department was at level 2. On the ground floor, they have the Law department. Some of my school and college friends were admitted to Law.

No comments: