Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Biography 161: How the department name became "Geography & Environment"


 Our department's name was Geography when I first applied. But during that time, they were working to change the name. Our department's proposal was to make this department name "Geography & Environmental Science." But the Science faculties put an objection to it. They said if you want to make it Environmental Science, you must make a good lab. At that moment Geography department didn't have a lab for the environment. To have the sanction for it, they needed to change the name. They compromised and called the department "Geography & Environment." So, I get admitted to this program at the University of Dhaka. 

Later our department made a science lab for Environment. An environmental science teacher had been appointed. He was young and handsome. Many of our classmates liked him. No, I never felt like that with him. I even don't have any memory of him having any conversation. The only thing I remember is he was walking (very fast) on the verandah of our department in a red shirt. I remember this because someone (I better not mention any name) told us, a handsome man is walking with his full sexy vibe. So, I looked at the verandah. 

After many years, I heard he got married. Had a kid. But the child was born abnormal. After hearing this, he got his heart failed, and he died. Innalillahi Wa Inna Elaihi Rajeun.

I never ask how that lab is going. Why is our department still not Environmental Science?

No comments: