Thursday, August 25, 2022

Biography 147: A teacher's tips


In College, our HomeEconomic teacher was a very smart lady. I won't say she looks very beautiful, but she always used to wear nice sharees with matching ornaments, with nice light make-up.

It's not only because of her teaching subject but she also uses to teach us many tips for life. I am guessing that's her natural style of sharing information.

One day she told us, that she doesn't have a dressing table at her home. We surprised. Then she said, now you guys are thinking how our teacher looks so gorgeous every day. Well, I have a closet (Almirah made of steel) with a mirror on it. That's enough to get dressed. Why would I buy a dressing table then? At home, if you don't need anything, don't buy it. That will give you more space in your house.

It's true, now I follow that. People buy new big dining tables. I bought a small one. Because I don't need a big one.

One day we arranged a class party in college. Our teacher was in charge to manage everything. When people (Other teachers) started coming to our party, I saw her stand at the door and she was welcoming everyone with a big smile. It was a fake one. But I felt it was giving a very good impression to the guests. If anyone welcomes me into their house with a big smile, I will feel a warm welcome. Now a day, I try to give this to my guests.

She said, she always prepares her dress and ornaments before sleep. So, in the morning she never needed to run here and there for everything. It saves her time and energy.

I totally agree with her. I want to do the same.

She was very proud of her brother, I overhear her talking with other teachers. She was saying she went with her brother to see girls to married to her brother (This is a tradition, to find a bride, boy and his relative go to the girl's house, enjoy their hospitality, see and check the girl, then decide whether they will marry the girl or not). She said the girl was ok, nicely dressed up, but she was wearing regular sandals on her feet, so her brother dismiss the girl to be a bride. He needed a smart one.

I was thinking, well, it is obvious, that a girl will wear sandals at home. You didn't meet her in a restaurant. But anyway, I don't know anything about fashion, better not comment.

She also told, that her mother is very straightforward. One day she went to a girl's house but the girl wasn't tall enough. Her mother told to the girl's relative, your girl is too short for my son. She is his leg's size. Our teacher was laughing.

I believe, no matter what, you can't take anyone's hospitality and then say this kind of word to their daughter. How will you feel, if anyone did the same to your son?

Anyway, our teacher seems very happy and enjoying by giving trips to the girl's houses. I was thinking, This is not right. No matter how our Bangladeshi society accepts it. Allah saved me, that I had decided not to get married.

No comments: