Saturday, December 31, 2022

Biography 154: Choose Geography


 In Bangladesh (And other countries, too), from class 9 (Grade 09) to HSC (Grade 12), we studied mainly in two sections. Science and Humanities. My parents and older sister decided that I should study Humanities. Because I was weak in Math. I followed their instruction and studied in Humanities till HSC.

Then after passing HSC, I thought, why don't I choose subjects myself. Because then I had to select a topic for my studies at the University. My mom wanted me to study Law. She said the way I put logic and argue indicates that I will be good as a lawyer. She wanted a lawyer in the family.

I wanted to study abroad. But I thought my dad was in a government job (In those days, government job holders had significantly less pay). So, he won't be able to bear my costs. So, I dropped that idea. But I like to travel a lot. I heard in the Univesity that only the Geography department takes students to study tours yearly. That was the only way to travel to different places every year.

No matter what my family wanted, I decided to study Geography.

No comments: