Monday, March 6, 2023

Biography 162: The balcony of the Annex Building


 The Geography & Environment department is in the Annex building at the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. It is in shape like a third bracket. It's a four storied building. 1st level has the Law department, women's common room and a cafe. The women's common is for the whole building; it is decorated so women can rest in the breaks and have an attached washroom. As much as I remember, we had another cafe on the top floor, but I have never been there.

2nd floor is entirely for the Geography & Environment department. The 3rd floor is for the Department of Meteorology (As far as I remember, it was the department of Mathematics when I was studying), and the 4th level is for the Statistics Department.

I liked the corridor/balcony/verandah of our department. No matter where I stand, I can see the whole department and most parts of the other 3 departments, too. I remember we (3 girls who always used to stay together) stood on the balcony before our class and chatted. Our other job was to watch our department, like who was entering, going out, doing what, with whom, etc. Just for time to pass. We might get in trouble if other people knew what we discussed. So, we gave nicknames to our senior boys. Like, Laltu, Chhoto bhai, Mama, etc. Every name has its own story. So, we could freely talk about them. ;) We had to provide our classmate's other name to avoid conflicts.


No comments: