Friday, January 5, 2024

Biography 195: Cricket in the University of Dhaka


 Cricket became very popular in Bangladesh when I was at the University of Dhaka. After the Bangladeshi team got a chance to play in the World Cup.

When I was in the first year, I heard our class was making a men's Cricket Team. Saleh recommended that Shahana be the manager. I always found him making fun of something or somebody, so I took it as one of his fun. Later, I found he really meant it. Anyway, Silvey finally became the manager.

They started practicing and playing games with other departments. Always invited the class to join and watch their game. I don't know about others, but we (3 girls) couldn't make much time for them because of classes.

One day, we went to watch their match. When we reached the Jagannath Hall field, we found many girls and boys from our class already in the gallery. The game had already started.

One of our classmates told us the opposite team/other department team didn't show up. So, our 1st year boys are playing with the senior boys of our own department. Just to enjoy the day.

When we settled in the gallery, one wicket fell from the senior student's team. Maybe because of a bunch of young 1st year girls, or perhaps that is his typical attitude. A senior student gets up and gets ready to bat with a lot of attitude. Like he is the master of all games, we are nothing. Then, start walking towards the field. A boy from our classmate said, "Owner of one ball," which means he will be out within one serving of the ball). And exactly that happened. He got a duck, which means out in 0 runs in one ball. Now, he has to return to the pavilion where many girls are watching. He was coming back to the pavilion, and his head was down.

And the boy again said, in a lower voice. I told you, owner of one ball. In the situation, the way he told him, we all laughed outbursts. The senior student looked up and looked at me. Like, I am the only one laughing at him. I was laughing at the voice of that boy. But he didn't ask for my explanation, so I could never explain to him.

Another day, we girls were standing on the balcony of our department, and some of our department boys were playing cricket on our building grounds. One girl said something, and we all laughed out loud. Especially when one of the senior students missed to hold a ball and the other team got 4 runs. We laughed because one of the girls predicted that the boy was getting distracted because of us on the balcony, and he missed the ball then. So, obviously, we couldn't stop laughing.

Later, that student told our classmate Neela, I saw you guys. None of you holding your teeth inside your mouth.

My cousin Litu bro also studied at the same University in the Bangla Department. I have visited the field to watch his games, too. His classmates gave a warm welcome to me, like a little sister. I always felt comfort around them. Never felt that I was from a different department.

One day, when my brother was bowling, one of his friends shouted, wipe the ball on your stomach. Leter I asked him, whats the story. He said one day, he wiped the ball on his t-shirt by rubbing it on his stomach, and then he got a catch. So, they were asking him to do the same to get success.

No comments: