Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Biography 196: My cousin got the name "Lichu"

 All our buses in the University of Dhaka used to (Or maybe nowadays too, I don't know) start from the Register Building. So, to have a seat I uses to go the Register Building from my department at the Science Annex Building. It's quite a distance, so sometimes I had taken a rickshaw or most of the time went there by walking.

It was difficult in the hot and humid Summer. I remember one day in Summer, I walked to the registered building. We had some extra time to wait for the bus to start. I was feeling very thirsty. So, I went to the canteen. In this canteen most of the time bus drivers or Register building office employees come and eat. I ordered a cold "Miranda". But then I was feeling a little uncomfortable drinking it alone in front of all adult males (Mostly male bus drivers). Then I found a group of students, among them there were some girls, who already taken something and leaving that place. I asked one girl (Later, I learned her name was Zeba), would you please stay for a few minutes. Let me finish the bottle of Miranda. On those days, we had to return the glass bottle of soft drinks. The girl understood my situation. She stopped and made 2/3 of the girls from her group wait a bit. So that I can finish the Miranda.

While drinking, we started a little chat, I got to know, they were also in the first year. Their department was Bangla. Where my cousin was admitted too. I asked about my cousin Litu, bro. They said that the professor was taking attendance in one class and called his name "Lichu"(Lychee in English), a fruit name. Everybody laughed at him. Though the professor corrected himself, the students started calling him Lichu.

Aha, I have some news to embarrass my cousin. How can I let it go? So, I asked his friend not to tell him how I got the information.

Later at home, at dinner time, I asked my cousin, hello, Lichu bro, how was your class today. He was surprised; how did you know? I didn't tell him about my source. I know I will meet with that lady later, too. Then I will be able to get more information.

After a couple of months, one day, Litu bro came to us (all the sisters were chilling) and said, you couldn't drink the soft drinks alone, so ask someone to wait for you.

I was surprised at what he was talking about, and later learned that his friend revealed the story source to him. Next day I met that friend in the campus while waiting for the bus. I asked her, why did you tell him. She said she couldn't realize that I didn't reveal anything to him even after a couple of months.

No comments: