Saturday, June 17, 2023

Biography 177: Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin Museum

From left, I, Sanjida, Reja, Ratna, Jamal, Shumi, Kamrul, and Alamgir. Ice cream was in my hand.

Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin, a renowned painter from Bangladesh, is well-known for his 1944 paintings depicting the devastating famines in Bengal. 

The museum in his name is located in Mymensingh, adjacent to the Jamidar House. During our visit, our professors led us on foot to the museum on a hot and exhausting day. Unfortunately, we arrived to find the museum closed, so we decided to take a rest on the grass. 

Suddenly, an ice cream van approached us, a common sight in Bangladesh where vendors sell ice cream from tricycle carts. My friends and I sat near the van (Or the van came near me and stood over there) with my friends, and whoever went to the truck to buy ice cream requested one for me too. And they gave me one ice cream and paid the bill. I had eaten 8 ice creams (I think). I was very thirsty and needed to cool down to avoid heat stroke. Each ice cream was only for tk 2 and as far as I remember, the persons who paid for my ice creams are Jamal, Kamrul, Tuheen, Pratul and maybe Alamgir, Reja and Saju too with others.

The picture was taken at that moment.

No comments: