Sunday, June 4, 2023

The last interaction between my dad and Shafeen

They were enjoying tea time. My dad and my son
PC: Sonia


My son and my father had a beautiful bonding. Shafeen (my son) always followed what his grandfather (Maternal) said when he started learning how to talk. No matter how many times I tried to correct it, Shafeen never followed me.

After my niece Dia was born, everybody asked Shafeen how the little baby was. Shafeen answered very confidently, "Chhoto babu khali Kande (Young baby always cries.") Previously, he used to say Kade, which meant cry. But my father said Kande, so Shafeen started saying Kande (Cry, in local terms).

The picture had been taken in the afternoon tea time. My father used to drink tea with some simple snacks. Shafeen sat beside him in a little chair and dad gave him a piece of bread so that he can join him.

They liked to take snacks together. My father had to dialysis his kidneys regularly, and he needed to collect blood. Whenever I took him to collect blood, our regular time pass activity was to go to the nearby mall and eat fuchka (A Bangladeshi snack, like Indian Panipuri). My son was under 2 years old, but he always joined his grandfather. So, my father bought him juice. Every time 2 small packages of juice. Shafeen could never finish 2 packets of juice, but he always asked for it, and his grandfather always said yes. I tried to stop them but failed. Finally, I had to finish the leftover.

Their last interaction was heartbreaking. I was standing at the door holding Shafeen when my father's dead body was taken away. And Shafeen cried out loud that people took his grandfather away from us.

No comments: