Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Turning off the TV while dining


As much as I can remember, I used to eat with my parents in my childhood. During my teenage age, I started taking plates from the table and going to the living room to sit in front of the TV. I used to eat while watching TV. I thought I was utilizing my time. Watching TV and eating.

My dad didn't like it. He always said this is not a good habit. You should sit at a table to eat your meal. And shouldn't watch the TV while you are dining. I didn't disagree with him in those days, but I also thought my idea was better. So, I didn't listen to him.

Nowadays, my son wants to play games and eat food. Obviously, I didn't allow it. I let him watch the news during breakfast while he is having breakfast together at the dining table. At lunchtime, if he wants (He generally doesn't wish to except for holidays), he can watch a movie, but he has to eat together at the table. During dinner time, I close all the screens. Now, only he can see each other's faces and talk while eating together at the table.

Sometimes, he doesn't like the food I cook. I knew he had certain choices. At that time, I let him take food to his game table so he didn't waste it. While playing a game, he can finish his bowl slowly.

I hope my plan works for all generations. I hope I am keeping my father's words now (By taking food together on a table, not in the living room).

No comments: