Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Biography 229: The pond I liked most in grandparent's house (Maternal)


My grandparent's house was (because they are not here anymore, it's now our uncle and aunt's house) in Faridpur, Bangladesh. A long time ago, this city was included with Dhaka (the capital of Bangladesh). Later, it became a separate city.

I visited the place a couple of times in my childhood, almost every Eid. When we were growing up, my mom used to visit alone. I visited last when I was in grade 10.

In my grandparents' house, I liked to stay mostly beside the pond. There was a Lichi fruit tree beside the pond. One of its branches was bent so that people could sit on it like a chair under a big tree. Then I kept watching the water in the pond. Sometimes, ducks were swimming, and sometimes, any other creature that I couldn't recognize.

It was on the way to our grandparents' house. So, everybody who came in or out could see me and, if they wanted, talk to me. As it was under a big tree, it was always cool, and gentle breezes were always there.

Sometimes, women come and wash their clothes or utensils, and sometimes, people come to take a bath. One day, I remember someone going into the water with a giant bamboo. Adults were asking what he was thinking. He replied that he was trying to learn to swim. My older sister learned to swim over there. My youngest grandfather (my grandfather's youngest brother), Chhoto Nana, told me, I will teach you swimming. I was scared, I knew he was planning to throw me into the water, and there was no plan to rescue me. I said no and ran. I saved myself from learning to swim.

Sometimes, people try to catch fish inside the pond. In front of me, some succeed.

Still, I like to sit near a river, ocean or lake and watch the water.

No comments: