Sunday, October 6, 2024

Biography 228: My uncle Salahuddin Moni


 We used to call my mom's older brother "Boro mama" (elder uncle). He had a nickname, "Moni" (a rare stone, the black dot of the eye, or something special). When he was born, people of that area used to call him "Moni" as he was very adorable and the first son of my grandfather (maternal). Later, it became his name. His full name was "Salahuddin Moni." He was a freedom fighter for Bangladesh.

I remember him mostly from my childhood memories. When he was living in Singapore. We four sisters used to write him letters. What we want to inform him and whatever we want him to bring with him. Because, in every letter, he asked us what you want me to bring for you guys.

When he came, he brought two small dresses for my older sister and me. But we were grown up, so finally those two dresses went to my two little sisters. He also brought a stainless steel plate. I got that. Till before, I came to Canada, I used to take meals on it. When I told this story to my son, he replied, "Why didn't you bring that plate with you?"

Today, he left us. I pray to Allah to give him Jannat and make his journey painless.

No comments: