Sunday, May 30, 2021

Biography 31: Dances



 It's true I liked to dance to music since my childhood. But I have started learning academic dancing when I was in grade 2. So, I had no idea how should I dance when I was in Alkaseem (Saudi Arabia). Our neighbours get to know that we were moving so many of them came to visit us. One day a woman came with her daughter. The daughter was a teen.


My mom and that woman were discussing both cultures. I guess. Then my mom turned on Bangla music in a cassette player and asked us to dance. We, I and my older sister started dancing, though that wasn't any dance actually. My mom was giving instructions like take your hands up, bent etc.


I am sure the woman wasn't impressed, though she didn't say anything. My mom always felt happy with our dance or any other activity. Then the woman asked her daughter to dance. Her daughter tightened her part of cloth around her hip and the woman started singing and giving beats by slapping on the table. The girl danced. Mostly she moved her hip. I felt she had a very nice rhythm but I didn't know anything about this kind of dance. I liked it, but my mom didn't. Different cultures different choices.


Now I know, she did belly dance.


No comments: