Sunday, January 29, 2023

Biography 159: Perception of University life in Bangladesh.


 When I was in school (In Bangladesh, grades 1 to 12). One of our entertainment was watching TV dramas. Almost all TV dramas, whenever showing University life, it showed that girls and boys having affairs. They don't attend classes or study; they do romance. If they somehow go to the library, they do romance. Their only activity at the University is to sit together on campus in different places. Then the hero or the heroine becomes 1st class 1st.

Now a day, I think that was the life of those writers; they don't know the other sides of campus life.

Sometimes, my mom took us to New Market to make dresses and shop. Sometimes rickshawala (Rickshaw driver) uses to take us through the University campus. I have seen many times boys and girls sitting together very closely.

Here, I must inform you that in Bangladesh, generally, people don't show intimacy in public. In those days, unmarried boys and girls didn't show any kind of bonding in public.

I heard people used to say city girls are not good. They spend time with boys before marriage. Village girls are very innocent. They are the marriage materials.

After admitting to the university I have seen city girls go home after class. The hall girls, who came from the village, stay out at night. Because they don't have anyone in the room who will ask where you have been. I mean, no parental restriction. No one knows them over there. I am telling what is good or bad; just trying to bring facts I have experienced. You know, exceptions can't be examples.

Let's come back to my childhood. So, I had a very negative idea about University life. That's why I thought I would go there to take the higher study and I won't go to make any kind of intimacy with boys. And I followed that till the end of my university life. My friends were 2 girls, and I had no affair with any boy. However, I spend my best study time at the University, not primary school.

No comments: