Thursday, January 5, 2023

Biography 155: Admission to the college


 I wanted to admit to the University of Dhaka. But if I didn't get a chance to admit to the University, I went to admit to Eden Mohila College. This is a girls' college and quite well known and old college.

If you go inside, it is stunning, like a park. Beautiful old building with flower gardens all over the area. Thousands of girls study over there. They had girl hostels, too, for those girls who came from different districts to Dhaka.

To save my father's money, I didn't take admission to any coaching class for the University admission test. But I bought a guidebook; I assumed if I read this book correctly, I would get a chance to go to the University.

But, by nature, I don't study academic books. So, my guidebook remains new.

I have given an exam at the college and got selected. They have given the deadline to admit over there. Which was one month early from the University of Dhaka's admission test result. So, for the safety of my education, I had to register and pay money to Eden Mohila College.

The college had only one day to admit there without any late fee. The rest of the 3 days are with late payment. I didn't want to give any extra money. I went to college with my older sister in the morning. I found a big line already built up and for the big college, they had put only one desk with one person taking money. He was an aged person. Works slowly. After taking some money he went to the principal's room to submit those. This process adds some extra time too. And some girls also broke the line. It's very common in Bangladesh. Two girls started fighting verbally about this scenario, and then a girl came who was the main person of the student union to stop them.

We waited there till sunset at about 6 pm. My older sister said, let's go home. this line will never end. She has already asked this a couple of times. Many girls gave up and went home. I told her we had already invested a whole day. Now I won't go home without registration, and then I have to pay the late fee. So, my older sister went home. I stayed alone in line with unknown future college mates. Finally, I could submit my forms and register for college.

The next day I had to go to the college for some reason, and I found no big line at the registered office. I felt this college intentionally put one day for registration without a late fee. They are very interested in collecting the late fee.

No comments: