Monday, February 7, 2022

Biography 116: I didn't get selected


My life was very easy. I never try hard to achieve anything. I mean I just take a chance, it happens that's my luck mostly or by born whatever the quality I already had. Now I know, everything actually depends on Allah. If it is meant to happen, it happens. And Alhamdulillah, most of the time, somehow I had achieved success.

I had given the school admission tests without any preparation. I succeed even after admission to college (Viqarunnisa noon college) and university (The University of Dhaka). I never went to any admission coaching centre like most Bangladeshi kids go or study at home.

I had attended many competitions in Dance, I never failed. My name was always there from 1st to 3rd.

Somehow I knew, I will never fail. I'm a very qualified person on this earth. And I was wrong. Now a day, it's become impossible to see any success. Anyway, let's go back to my school life.

In Bangladesh, in grade 8 (Class 8) students get a chance to get a government scholarship. The money amount wasn't very good, but it was a prestigious thing. My older sister achieved both scholarships grade 5 and grade 8.

To achieve this scholarship, kids need to sit for an exam. So, every school first takes a test in their school and selects only meritorious students to sit for the main exam with all other students of other schools.

As usual, I sit for the exam without any preparation. And for the first time, I didn't get selected. This made my whole world upside down to me. How did this happen? I stopped all activities that I used to do regularly. Like watching TV, cooking, doing household work, taking care of my younger siblings, reading novels, drawing, talking over the phone, playing with siblings etc. I felt this world is not for me, how did I get failed.

It was a few days earlier than our final exam of grade 8. Every year in Bangladesh students need to sit for the final exam of the year, if they pass they get a chance to go to the next grade. I have already failed to sit for the scholarship test, so I put my full focus on the final exam so as not to fail.

Our school used to give syllabus of the year in the class, students use to write it down in their notebook. As I wasn't serious on study, I didn't have that. So, I called my class friend Bably over the land phone. And took the syllabus. This way, I use to call her after every exam night to get the next exam's syllabus. Then didn't waste any single second of time, just did the study. I never study like this before or after. When I was returning home from school, I even stopped looking at the outside from the rickshaw, the only word that was repeating in my head is, "I have failed". 

In my class, my teachers and friends knew, I am not a good student. I never could fulfil homework or study. So nobody expected much from me. But I have always surprised people around me. Either by succeeding or by failing.

This time I did that too. Not only did I pass, but I also ranked myself in the second position (After adding the previous 2 quarter exam marks, which weren't good). From grade 9 Bangladeshi schools were divided into two groups. One is the science section another was the humanity section. The 1st girl went to the science section and I went to the Humanity group. This way, for the first time in my life, I have put myself at number 1.

No comments: