Saturday, August 26, 2023

Biography 190: Rosher Pitha (Bangladeshi Dessert)

Source: https://youtu.be/1Ruu-dZCpoM?si=PQ0CQTUiUvspMz4D

 Rosher Pitha (খেজুরের রসের পুলি পিঠা) is a Bangladeshi dessert. After the fall, in winter, women used to make this dessert. Because in the fall, all crops, especially rice, had been taken out from the field. So, at home, plenty of rice is available in winter. Women used to make rice dumplings with fried sweet coconut and put it in a sweet soup. Which consists of date syrup, milk, coconut, etc. They keep the dumplings inside the soup for a night, and in the morning, it tastes like heaven.

Let's come to the main story. When I was visiting my youngest uncle's home in Cox's Bazaar, one night, my aunt decided to make rosher pitha. At night I also helped her to make a huge amount of dumplings, which she put in the sweet sauce for the night.

The next day, we went to Bandorban (that's another story), and after one night's stay, when we returned, we found all pitha had finished. My aunt couldn't understand how 2 people my cousin and his friend, finished all in one day. Later she got to know that they invited more people to join them to finish the pitha. So, my bad luck that I couldn't taste that pitha. After that, no one made me anything like that, nor did I try to make it. Just never had that dessert anymore.

No comments: