Saturday, July 20, 2024

Biography 217: Argument with the company owner.

 Once, our office increased working hours. They said they needed us to work more because the company was in trouble. But still, I couldn't find out how increasing our working hours would increase company money. Instead, this would raise utility bills. Workers would be tired and unhappy and would have a bad impression of the company.

I was single, living with my parents. I was willing to learn more and do better in my career, so this was not a problem for me at all. But there were other girls in our office; they were facing trouble. Some were married, so their families expected them to return home and take care of them after work. One of the girls was pregnant. She definitely didn't want to work more and put more stress on her body.

Anyway, I heard that they wanted to request that the office management change this decision. Shampa came to me and asked me to join the girls as a girl. I thought we should stay united, so I said OK.

Our company owner came to the office in the evening, and the girls decided to talk to him. We all walk together. Near the door, I don't know how I was standing at the front. Anyway, I entered the room, and with me, all entered. The company owner looked at us.

Nobody was saying anything, so to avoid the awkward moment, I started talking. Without any preparation, without knowing what problems were going on with the girls because I had never had any meeting with them, I kept requesting to change the time. When our arguments were going on, sometimes Shampa supported me, but no other girls said a single word.

We were talking inside a glass room. So, the boys were watching us from outside. I kept pushing the argument until the company owner said, OK, I will have a look at this problem.

When we left the room, the boys became angry with the other girls. They said, why you guys didn't say anything, why only Shahana keep talking. Shampa said, I said some! Sharmy said, I knew nothing would change, so I didn't say anything.

I couldn't achieve anything from this initiative, as the company didn't change its timing. All the girls were punctual, and no one showed any trouble with the extra time.

Later, our Project Manager, Mr. Rana, told me you should prepare before discussing such a topic. You could bring up the pregnant women issue and other feminine issues where the company had nothing to say.

Yes, one thing I achieved from that argument was that the project manager started respecting me. If anyone complained about me, he always took my side and trusted me.

No comments: