Thursday, December 10, 2020

Biography 14: Kotkoti (Bangladeshi sweet snacks)

Image Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8cG5sfmI9I

 

Kotkoti is a sweet snack.

Earlier in Dhaka (Bangladesh), there was some professional guy who use to go to the houses to collect cristal bottles to recycle. Instead of giving money, they use to give food, Kotkoti. They bring the food in a round box, made with tin. They had a small hammer and an iron pin to break the hard Kotkoti and measured it. Then give it to the children of the house. It was a very popular snack for children. In those days, people didn't use plastic bottles, so it was easy for the kids to collect bottles made of glass. Now a day, it's not available in Bangladesh as the way it was.


I remember I used to stand by the Kotkoti man and wait patiently when he will give us Kotkoti. My cousin brothers didn't want to miss a bit. While the man was breaking the Kotkoti one of my brothers use to grab all the powder fall on the box before Kotkoti man stopped him, he uses to run away.


Image Source: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/454300681159532929/

After moving into Canada, I have found almost the same dish! One of our colleagues who is from German made this dish for us. He said this is German's traditional dish. His family owns a restaurant. They are all are very good at cooking. He already cracked and bring us small pieces of Kotkoti. I'm sorry, I forget the German name of it.

No comments: