Saturday, July 8, 2023

Biography 180: New Professor


 When we were in our first year at the University of Dhaka, we had practical classes scheduled at the end of the day. But at the beginning of our course, our practical class didn't start. We heard the professor who was appointed didn't return from abroad. He was studying somewhere out of the country. After missing a few classes, one day, one told us he arrived in the department. We were happy, OK, now our class will resume.

One of the girls told us, let's meet with him. Let's see what he looks like. Allah knows why I was with them. It really doesn't matter to me, what a person looks like. We walked towards the library room by the corridor, and then we had to take a turn, where a bunch of professors were standing in the corridor and chatting with our new professor.

I felt professors won't like how students went there to see someone. So, I just bent and looked (like a pick-a-boo) at the professors; my body was behind the pillar. I am sure I didn't make any noise. But at the same time, the new professor turned and looked at us. I felt we got caught in something, so I immediately hid behind the pillar.

Then our class started. In the beginning, I found this professor very grumpy. Always in a bad mood, scolding students. I felt maybe it was better that he was staying abroad.

But he surprises us; within a month, he has changed totally. He used to smile always and make fun with the students. I started thinking, a person who can smile so nicely, why was he hiding his nature in that way?

I remember he went to visit Cox's Bazar with our senior class. After returning from the tour, he shared some very funny moments. We all laughed loud with him. I wanted to hear more about the tour stories, but some of our classmates from the back bench started making too much noise that he had to stop and change the topic.

I want to share about another day. We were taking measurements of our front open area and portico. We were divided into a couple of groups. I wanted to make sure that we were doing everything right, so before starting work (drawing), I wanted to discuss with our professor about our work plan and whether they are ok or not. But he went to another group. One of our group members, Sharmin, requested him to check work, but then he went to another group. Sharmin became tired; she said each time I asked him to see our group work, he went to another group. So, we decided let's try everything by ourselves. Then he came; I was so angry that I didn't feel like talking to him. But he helped us, gave suggestions and the rest of the day, he worked with our group. We were the last group that he checked in.

At the end of our first year, he went abroad again to study. This time we talked with him. He said he had got a scholarship and would return after 4 years. We calculated, then we will be studying in the MSc class.

Our professor kept his word, and he returned. Then get married. Now he is living in Thailand with his family and working as a professor at a University.

He introduced his wife to us. She is charming, and she worked in a Bank in those days. I liked her smile mostly. She was very lovely and hamble with us.

When I decided to migrate, I also contacted our professor Mokbul Morshed Ahmed. Our professor gave us some links to where their university allows studying on their campus. But those link wasn't working from my end.

Later I moved to Canada. Our professors from the University of Dhaka are always very helpful and friendly with us. We are lucky to have professors like that.

No comments: