Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Biography 183: Our friend Emran

Emran sitting with a guitar in the Chittagong railway station waiting room.

 Emran was my friend from the Geography & Environment Department at the University of Dhaka. He was from Sherpur, Bangladesh. We had a common friend. That's why we have some tours together in groups, besides our regular field trips. Like a trip to "Sonar Gaon."

We miss trips too. One day Emran, with his friend supposed to meet us in front of Shishu Park. I had given the time 5.30pm. I waited there till 5.31pm, then left. I was like, if anyone came 1 minute late, that person would miss the meeting. On that day, Emran became very upset. He said, couldn't you wait 10 more minutes. I replied, why didn't you come 10 minutes early? Emran never fought with me for more than 2 seconds, so he stopped arguing.

One day in the class, I found him quite angry with a friend; Emran raised his voice and said, "Are bata, toke bollam na bata, oita bata, dhorbi bata, dekhosh na bata....." I laughed out loud. Why so many Bata in the sentence?

When all were planning our field trips in the department, I suggested going to India. I knew my family would not take me abroad to travel, and I couldn't go alone. I also heard our senior batches visited India, so I insisted. But no one was listening to me. Emran became irritated and said, "If you go with me, I will take you to travel to India." His friends stopped him and said, don't make this kind of comment. It was OK for me. By that time, I knew him very well. I knew, without meaning anything, he just made jokes, so I didn't care what he said. And no one made any field trip to India during our course,

Later I visited India twice in two different places, at my own cost.

On our Mymensingh trip, Emran helped our friends who became sick by calling doctors and taking care of them.

When Saba faced an incident in the department, Emran was the first person who protested.

On the Cox's Bazar trip, I came last to the hotel from the station, and all people had already taken their rooms. Emran took us to our room. It was a broken and dark room. I told him, I am not going to stay here. He said, can't you adjust a bit. Sumi was ready to adjust, but I told him clearly, No. I will stay in the corridor until you give me a good room. He left, took me upstairs within 5 minutes, and gave us a clean, renovated big room.

On the way to Dhaka, we halt some hours at the Chottogram train station. Emran requested me to stay with everyone's luggage, and the boys will go out to see the city. I didn't plan to go out, but I immediately said, no way, I will go out too. And then I went out with a group and visited some places.

During our University life, we worked many times in a group. The first year, we were in the same survey group. At the end of the Masters class, we conducted a survey again in Bagerhat.

After leaving the University, we didn't have much contact. But he managed to come to my marriage ceremony. When a significant incident happened in the ceremony, he came to me and told me, no worries, the groom's friend didn't like the food, that's why they left it, but now again sit down with the new round of food. One of the groom's friends was my Hall friend. So, no worries, I will handle it, and everything will be fine. He understood as a bride, I was worried about the situation and couldn't go outside and fix the problem. So he came to comfort me.

Then I met with him at Chaity's marriage ceremony. He came with his wife, and his wife was 6 months pregnant.

When I was getting ready to migrate to Canada, I needed money. So, I wanted to sell my apartment. Emran tried to find a client. He had shown the flat to some people too but didn't succeed. I couldn't wait; I needed the money in a short time. So, I sold it to an employee of the builder company.

Then our communication was only online. Withing saying anything, I could see what my friends were doing on the FB page. When I wrote about him, he checked my blogs and corrected me where needed.

He was our go-to person. Whoever faced trouble always contacted him, and he tried his best to solve it. Like, all iftar parties get together, arranging money for those in trouble. He knew how to cheer up a person or a group and enjoy every moment.

Like when I said I don't have money to come to Bangladesh. He said, don't worry, just decide, and we will arrange money for you. I knew he didn't mean it, but he always encouraged everyone.

Now it will be challenging to stay together with all because Emran was one of the big reasons that everyone stayed together. I wish and pray for him, Jannat.

No comments: