Thursday, July 27, 2023

Biography 184: My first tour to Cox's Bazar (The road)

When I was in grade 8 or 9, my youngest uncle (Maternal) used to work in Bandorban Rubber Garden as a manager. The owner of the rubber garden was Sohel Rana (Masud Parvej), a prominent actor in Bangladesh. My uncle had a fruit garden too of his own. His family used to live in Cox's Bazar because of his kids' education, and he had a shop in a mall.

My uncle knew he lived near a big travel spot. So, he always tries to take any of his nieces or nephews with him whenever he comes to Dhaka or Faridpur and shows them the beach of the Bay of Bangle.

One day my turn came. Because my annual school exam was finished. My uncle just asked once. And I happily agree to go with him. My other cousin-brother Ranku Bhai (May Allah keep him in peace) visited our house then, and he joined us.

In those days, there was no direct bus service from Dhaka to Cox's Bazar. My uncle took us to the bus terminal at Arambag (For Cox's Bazar and Chittagong buses).

The bus took us directly to Chittagong, and then we changed to another bus to Cox's Bazaar. We started very early in the morning. When we reached the bus stoppage by rickshaw, a man joined us. Ranku bro said it is his friend and will go with us too. The individuals were totally ready for the journey. Clearly, they knew about it before, but not me or my uncle.

My uncle agreed to take him too to his house. In those days, there were no mobile or cell phone systems. People really used land phones on the road. So, my aunt (My uncle's wife) had no clue that 3 extra people would go to their house to live for a couple of days.

Before reaching Chittagong, we stopped at a roadside restaurant to take our lunch. These restaurants are built for highway travellers. Their food was good. Washroom was clean. Then we start our journey again.

Here I have to mention something. I am not a bus person. In my childhood, I even couldn't ride in a car. When it started moving, I used to begin vomiting. After growing up, I have more control over this problem. Now a day, I just stay relaxed and head up all the way. If I even try to read something or check my cell phone, I feel like throwing out everything.

I was in school and didn't have control like this time. It was a huge bus and a long journey. I felt terrible several times but somehow held it till Chittagong.

In Chittagong, we get down from the bus. It was afternoon. We took some rest and got on the next bus. By this time, my brother Ranku had bought some Champa Banana. He ate and gave us too. I tried one. It was good, probably local fruit.

Then the bus started moving. And I couldn't hold anymore. I throw out everything. Couldn't take my mouth to the window, though I sat beside the window, my uncle sat beside me. My brothers sat behind us. My uncle cleaned me up with a gamchha (Cotton towel). In those days, people didn't use to carry tissues. He told me to keep the window open always and keep my mouth near the window so that I won't get dirty again.

But his anger went to the Champa Banana, indirectly to my brother. They started fighting. My uncle asked why he gave a banana to me. I didn't have this problem after lunch or snacks but after taking the banana. My brother said it's not the banana; it's the poor bus. Smelling like gasoline. I tried to stop my uncle, and my brother's friend tried to stop my brother. Both of us failed. No matter how many times I said, it's my problem. No one listened.

I threw out two more times, but I became an expert by that time. I used the window to clear my stomach, and no one got dirty.

We got down before we reached the main Cox's Bazar beach area. There was a small market by the highway, and my uncle lived nearby village.

When we reached my uncle's home in the evening. By that time, fighting was stopped, not over. Both of them (Uncle and brother) stayed silent for the rest of the tour.


No comments: