Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Biography 181: Professor of Regional Geography


 Our regional geography professor was an aged and wise man. He never spent unnecessary money on his dresses. He came from a wealthy family but always lived a general life. He sent his daughter abroad to get a degree. One day she called and asked help from her dad for an assignment. Our professor gave some suggestions, and she got very good marks. Her teacher asked where she got that information, and she informed the teacher about her dad.

Our department, Geography & Environment, had to increase his working days even after his retirement age because it was difficult to find someone wise like him to take his position.

One day he told us that he was getting an allergy reaction from the chalk. On those days, we had blackboard and chalk to write in the class. We suggested not to use it, but he smiled, said it was okay, and kept writing as needed in the lecture.

He had vast knowledge of many different issues. And he wasn't a religious person. Sometimes he mentioned some example or information which may go against any religion. Obviously, not all students like that. If anyone tries to argue, he can't keep his temper long. So, considering his age, we always suggested to other students not to fight with him. We didn't like to see him suffering.

I am a religious person. I like intelligent and wise men. I respect them. I respect my professor very much. But one day he said something which hurt me too much. So, I decided to skip his classes.

Before his class started, I went out and stayed on the balcony, and when he left the class, I returned to the class to attend the next class.

I thought he won't notice or bother my absence. I was wrong.

Our professor was very friendly and always respected everyone, including all students. In Bangladesh, whenever we meet with any professor, we say, "Assalamu Alaikum (May peace rain upon you.)" And the professor either replies or nods just to let you know he heard and thank you. As usual, I said Salam to our professor when I met with him in the department. For the first time, he didn't reply and clearly ignored me. It happened more than once. I understood very clearly. To ignore a problem, I created a new one.

I understood I have to come to bend myself as I am a student. So, I again joined the class, I had made up my mind, and no matter it troubles me, I will just sit and complete all classes. The professor noticed me in the class and gave me a big smile of love. After that class, he didn't say anything in class that could hurt me, and outside the class, sometimes he gave me a salam.

The person who always fought for his word, restricted with his tongue only for a student, which he didn't want to lose. Our professor isn't on this earth anymore. But from the bottom of my heart, I give you Salam. I respect you, as always, no matter how different our thinking process is.

No comments: