Sunday, August 8, 2021

Biography 54: "Chhele Dhora" the boy abductor



 In Umlez (Saudi Arabia) Teena (My friend) and I used to stay at home and both of our parents were busy with full-time jobs. I was with my youngest sister too. She was a couple of months old. Our parents had no other choice but to keep us alone at home for the whole day.


During the lunch break, my mom and Teena's parent used to come back home and feed us. Because their work place was in the same block. They knew this is not safe for anyone. So, they always told us that there are some "Chhele Dhora"/ The man who abduct boys (kids), in this area. So, we better not leave home and always play inside the home.


I don't remember how much I believe those stories. But we figured out that Boy's abductor means the man who kidnaps boys, not girls. We are all girls. So, we don't have to worry. Actually, we didn't worry about anything. We play inside or beside our houses for the whole day.


We never go far away except one day. One day, I thought why not discover nearby areas. I don't know how they look. So, I was holding my youngest sister and walked out from the block. After walking couple of minutes, I realize I forgot the path to return home. Suddenly I felt cold in the sun. I looked at my youngest sister, she was smiling and happy as usual. I smiled back. Then turn around and start walking back. After some time I found the path to enter our block. I walk through the path and returned home. I felt so scared that I never try this kind of thing in Umlez again.


I always felt difficulty in remembering the path. In Canada, now day, when I figure out the patterns of the road, I can easily remember the way. Good for me, I don't need to take help from Google Maps much.

No comments: