Thursday, August 26, 2021

Biography 60: New apartment in Bangladesh



 After a couple of years living in Saudi Arabia, our parents decided to come back to Bangladesh permanently. Now I think, that wasn't a wise decision. They could have a much better career and good life.

While we were in Saudi, my dad took help from his friend. Through his friend, he bought land in Dhaka to settle. We never heard of that place before, but it was near Matijhil Commercial Area.

First, we rented an apartment to live near our land. So, that our parents can look after the construction work of our new home. The apartment was in 4 storied building and we started living at level 3. My Bangladeshi life started from this home.

Our landlord was a lawyer. In that area, everyone uses to say, lawyer's house. Just beside our house, a very popular movie comedian lived. He was the brother of our landlord. Later the movie star's family became our family friends. They were such a nice family.

This house was near to a school. I am and my older sister studied in that school till grade 4. Still, I have friends connected on FB from this school.

I remember one day I broke the sink in the dining room. It was a small sink to wash hands. I was very scared. Because I put my leg on it to wash and then... you know. But the landlord smiled at me and said it's OK. The next day he put a new one.

In those days, in Dhaka city, we didn't have many high-storied buildings. So, we could view "Baitul Mokarram" from the roof of our apartment. And also the Kamalapur Railway station. Hearing the rail's noise was very common.

Around us, we had big trees. Most of them are from our neighbours. But it made the apartment look very beautiful. Now all trees are gone and there is no free space around that building. All space is captured by the high-rise apartments. It's a requirement of a Megacity. Can't deny it.

No comments: