Sunday, March 27, 2022

Biography 126: Stars


 When we were giving SSC (Final exam after grade 10), the government introduced "Objective Type" questions. Previously we had to write all answers in a descriptive way. Teachers judge them in their own way to mark. Now it became like yes or no. So, teachers or board examiners have to give numbers if the student's answers are correct. So, if they want they can get 50 marks with this type of answer, the rest 50 marks were in the same old style (Description Paragraphs of answers). 


For me it was good. I am not good at memorizing line-by-line big essays. I like to write everything, in short, the main points. So, if the question said, write a short summary, I will definitely make it short. Later I found students who wrote long got better marks. I still don't understand this nature of marking.


Anyway, it was first introduced in SSC in Bangladesh with our batch. Previously very few students got marks more than 75%. They use to call the star mark holders in the exam. Very prestigious situation. Now after adding the objective system many students, including me got the start marks. People stop taking it as a prestigious thing. They start laughing at us. Like you to get a star! Like we didn't study or didn't do good in exams.

Even people from Kolkata, India started laughing at us. Some said we heard all-stars from the sky suddenly dropped on Bangladesh?

Later I found I didn't get "Stand" marks (Top 20 on the board) just for 1 mark.

I really work hard during the SSC exam. Exam time was always known as load-shedding time. From afternoon I used to sit on my desk and study with a candle, no fan or light. I remember it was a hot and humid season. I used to sweat and became totally wet during the study. All my family members used to go to the roof to get some fresh air. I spent my time like this for a month. Anyway, these good marks helped me soon.

No comments: