Monday, September 20, 2021

Biography 66: Writing was difficult


 When I was living in Umlej (Saudi Arabia), my main duty was to do babysitting. My both parents had a full-time government job. My mom uses to do overtime too.


On those days, we didn't have any English medium school near our area. So, my education part didn't start on time. Sometimes my dad sits with me to teach me writing numbers in Bangla. I found it very difficult to write. Maybe from that time, my parents assumed that I'm poor in Math.


Somehow I have learned how to write numbers from 1 to 10 (In Bangla). But I always used to write 5 and 6 in opposite directions. Like you are seeing in the mirror. My dad had to correct me every time.


One day my mom's friend came to our house with her family. They were (Both husband and wife) also doing government jobs in the nearby city. They have a son, he was just a little younger than me. I knew he was good with his education, his parents were more serious than mine. When they came I was writing with my dad. I didn't want to humiliate myself in front of them. So, when I was writing, I wrote 5 and 6 the opposite way, I assume, this time I made it correct. Uncle came near to me, watch my writing, smiled and said, "Very good job". I became happy, oh I saved myself somehow. Then he said, "Just fixed 5 and 6, you wrote it in opposite direction (তুমি উল্টা করে লিখেছো )."


Now they are all in Bangladesh. Uncle has given a clinic and working as a family physician. Aunt became a housewife. Their son completed engineering from BUET. Now married and have kids. But I still feel I'm not smart enough to them. Because I wrote 5 and 6 in the wrong way.

No comments: