Thursday, September 30, 2021

Biography 71: Writing my name


 After returning to Bangladesh, my parents wanted me to admit to grade 2, because of my age. Though my education level wasn't good enough for even grade 1. I didn't know how to write my name.

My older sister taught me how to write "Shimul". That is my name. But in the admission form, my mom changed my full name to Shahana Shafiuddin.

In Bangladesh, if any kid wants to get admitted, they had to pass the admission exam. My dad talked with the class teacher. Dad convinced my teacher that I just came to Bangladesh,  I will catch up later. But at this age, I can't go to the junior class.

On the result day, my dad went to school and came back with a sad face. He couldn't find my name on the admission list. He talked with my teacher. He couldn't find anyone named Shahana. My mom asked me, what name did you write on the test paper? I told her, "Shimul". She said, why? Why not Shahana. I told her I don't know how to write Shahana. I only know, how to write "Shimul" which my older sister taught me.

Again they taught me how to write Shahana. Then again they asked me to sit for an admission test. I think the school didn't have enough students in the class. Otherwise, in Bangladesh, sits filled up very fast. Then no more students get a chance to admit to the class. The second time I get passed and was admitted to my neighbourhood school. In Bangladesh, there is no rule that you have to admit to your nearest school. If a student passes the admission test, they can join the school from anywhere in Bangladesh.

In school, to upgrade from one grade to another you have to pass the final year exam. And according to your result, you will get the number from 1. Number 1 will be the person who did the best or scored best. But If you get admitted newly, your number will start from the end of all students. So, in grade 2, my number was 33.

Next year at grade 3 I have got the number 2. Yeah, sometimes I surprise people with my quality ;) A boy got the number 1. He is now become my Facebook friend, living in the USA with his wife and kids. He is a genius and a very good person and has always been my good friend.

No comments: