Sunday, October 3, 2021

Biography 72: My second school


 In grade two I had entered my second school in Bangladesh. On those days it was a tin-shaded one-floor school. We had a playground in front of it. Our school boundary was made of bamboo. Now it became a four or five-storied building with no playground. These days, many Bangladeshi, especially in Dhaka don't have any playgrounds in the schools. People are investing money on the structure, school materials and education quality, but a playground. In most cases, they don't have enough space for a playground. The city population is too dense to make some space for kids. Now, who will speak for the kids? In Bangladesh, nobody listens to them, especially the parents. These kids (Most of them) don't have time or place to play, they are only allowed to study, if anyone is lucky they can do other extra curriculum activities. 


I have studied in this school from grade 2 to 4. I have many memories and I don't remember in which grade what happened.


As I mentioned earlier, after coming from Saudi Arabia this was our first school. I and my older sister started study over here. Though we were Bangladeshi, our culture was different than theirs. We in many ways we had faced cultural shock. In those days, the internet wasn't available, so people did not know about different cultures. People don't accept things that are not familiar to them easily.


My mom bought small briefcases to carry books to school. It looks cute. In Saudi Arabia, people can bring anything to carry books. My sister took that to school and the school complained and asked us to change it. So, we had started taking bags to school. Later I have seen in the class, some kids don't bring anything to carry books. They just hold everything tightly with their hands and bring it to school. I'm sure, now day this won't be allowed. But I felt they are kind of free. But now I know, actually, their parents wanted to save some money because of their financial situation.


We had a school dress. I have seen most of the students didn't follow them accurately. It's not just because of financial condition, but they just didn't like to follow. And school wasn't strict with it on those days. Now things have changed. For example, we had a specific belt to wear and students used to wear anything they want, very few of them use to wear specific shoes, some of them uses to come to school barefoot, some only maintain the main dress then added anything they like to wear. I didn't have that luxury, my parents make me wear a full dress according to the rule. Now I do that with my son.

I will write more about this school life in my future posts. Let's not make this post longer.

No comments: