Friday, October 8, 2021

Biography 74: No lunch


 Our school was very near to our home. If there were no high-rise building, we could have seen it from our window. But we could hear the bell. It only took a couple of minutes to go there.

In school, we had one break. It was 30 minutes break. Students were allowed to go out. This was the best time for street foods. Many food vans uses to come to the school door during this time. The price was low and food quantity was also very small. But the taste was great. You might be guessing I have enjoyed that food, right? NO.

My mom never gave me pocket money to buy anything in school. She even didn't give me a lunch box. She said, our house is very near to the school. So, you can come and eat from home, if you feel hungry. One day I have decided to go home. A couple of my friends also join me, they thought my mom must have made something special that's why I'm going home. My mom wasn't ready for this. She fried an egg and with some Porotas. I have eaten that and one or two friends join me. Others didn't like it. Who likes eggs? Later my mom said, you suppose to come alone.

Anyway, I never went home again during the lunch break. I just enjoyed my break by playing. And watching others eating delicious foods. Like pickles, ice cream, fruits prepared with salt and other masalas, chatpoti, fuchka etc.

One day I don't remember why I have got some money for lunch. The amount was very low, in the lunch break, I went outside and I found with that amount I can buy a "Kotbel" (Elephant apple or sourwood apple). The seller made a hole at the top and put some salt and dry chilli powder in it and then mixed it with a bamboo stick and give it to me.  I was flying in heaven.

In our class, there was an unwritten rule. Whoever buys any Kotbel others uses to taste it from them. My amount was small so I bought a small one. Still, I was very happy to share it with others. I don't get much chance to do it. Some of them said, hey, let her eat it, it is small, if we take too much there won't be much for her.

No comments: