Thursday, May 30, 2024

Biography 208: Colors thrown to people, when Bangladeshi Cricket Team Won.


 It was a big day in Bangladeshi Cricket history when they got Test Status. On that day, another thing happened in Bangladesh, mainly in Dhaka. People started throwing paint at other people. It would be good if they continued doing this among friends and family. But people got crazy and started throwing people all over the road. Some may work in the office, go to pray to master, go to school, etc.

On the road, people started throwing liquid colour to all passersby walking or moving in a rickshaw, car, or bus. First, maybe they had tap water with them to mix the colour with it. Then they started taking water from the drain, colouring it, and throwing it at the people. It didn't remain fun for all people. Many people were kind of harassed by this kind of activity, especially ladies.

It was a big victory day for Bangladesh, so eventually, people forgave this activity. At least no action had been taken.

We four sisters went out that day. Three of us came back home clean—I mean without any colour—except my fourth sister, Shekha. She was on the rickshaw with her friends coming back home. The rickshaw was in the Shahjahanpur Railway Colony (Government Residencial Area). Some boys threw buckets of colour on them.

Now, I want to tell my history. I was in the Department of Geography & Environment at the University of Dhaka. We were on the second level of our department building, at our class. Then the news came with the color-throwing event. Some boys ran outside to collect colours to throw them on the girls. All the girls were scared and tried to run away. I, along with some other girls, ran to the library and closed the door.

Some boys came, including one of our classmates, Tulon. Because another classmate, Tinni, was shouting continuously, "Tulon, don't do this, stop it!." Well, that gives Tulon more courage to continue their activities. They tried to break the lock by pushing the door. Some girls, including me, tried to push back the door so that they couldn't get inside. Tulon used his brain 200% and a steal ruler to open the lock. Then he gave a big push to the door. When I was alone, I was trying to keep it close, so I couldn't.

All entered together in the room. I screamed and hid my face with my hands. I don't know why; nobody touched me or threw any colour on me. They were using dry colours. They ran inside the room and found girls who were hiding below the table or behind the shelves and through colours on them. I was shocked and standing at the front door. Then they all go outside.

I was thinking, how did I get relieved? Anyway, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to all of them. I don't know who they were; their faces were covered with colours. I just know that one of them was Tulon.

Then, I waited inside the library for a couple of hours to stop this colour game. I took a rickshaw and came back home. On the way, I saw colours everywhere. In the Matijhil, all cars were coloured, all roads had colour marks, and buildings had colour marks. I saw some forceful colouring activities beside the roads too.  Luckily, my rickshaw poller used 300% of his brain, he rode fast and kept our rickshaw in the middle so that they didn't try to attack me. I came back home clean.

No comments: