Wednesday, May 22, 2024

About me and why did I get this Diploma


 My name is Shahana Shafiuddin. I was born in Bangladesh. Because of my parents' jobs, I lived in Saudi Arabia for two years during my childhood. Then I started living in Bangladesh again, and about eight years ago, I came to Canada, to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. So, I have seen different cultures and communities from my childhood.

I like to see new places. That's why, after getting a job, I visited Malaysia, India, Bhutan, Nepal, UAE, and Canada. I have seen different cultures and communities in these countries. One thing I found very common among all nations is that the general people are very nice.

I became a Canadian citizen and have lived in Canada for about eight years. I first lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, for six years, and then I moved to the GTA, Ontario.

I have Canadian work experience in Customer service and Security. In my last job, I worked in a non-profit organization. While making my career, I also volunteered at the Saskatoon Open Door Society. Over there, I have taken volunteer training in the Settlement and Cultural Training program for Volunteers, Refugee awareness, Strengthening Leadership in a diverse community, etc. I have visited some memorable places for the indigenous people, like Waskasu. This place was a metis people’s city. Then, they fought with the new settlers, and the war destroyed their community.

I have met many indigenous people in Saskatchewan, including Cree, Inuit, and Metis. Some were my colleagues, and some were my son’s school friends. I found them very soft in heart, generous, and helpful.

I wanted to work as a community worker on newcomers or climate issues, so I took a program to study called “Community Worker.” To work in a community, I must learn about different neighbourhoods and Indigenous people and work with them to empower them and have a better community.

No comments: