Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Interpersonal Communication and Social Media

 “Follow rules,” “Soft speaker,” and “EMC (Electronically Mediated Communication) communicator.”

-          Interpersonal communication is governed by the following rules:

Communication researcher Susan Shimanoff said the rule is a “Followable prescription that indicates what behaviour is obligated, preferred, or prohibited in certain contexts.”

From her explanation, I learned that I am a person who always tries to “follow the rules.” If I have an assignment to complete, I try to follow the rules step by step to ensure I am making things right. I will do the work that I am supposed to do early and then proceed to the next step.

-          Interpersonal Communication Involves Both Content and Relationship Dimensions:

Every communication has two sides: Content and Relationship Dimensions. Content refers to the exact words we say to others. Relationship Dimensions include all other aspects that influence the Content or terms we use, like tone of voice (how we make eye contact, facial expression, and posture).

I don’t particularly appreciate hurting people and shouting at anyone. I feel awful if, somehow, I did so. That’s why I always speak softly, even when I become outraged. I keep my facial expressions regular if I talk, and I mostly try to speak with a smile. So, if I had to use any strong word, I like to deliver it in a pleasant or good way so that the other person doesn’t get hurt and can understand what I am saying. Sometimes, people misunderstand me because of my style of talking. They think they can say anything to me, and I won’t be able to do anything about it. Maybe I am a soft-spoken person, but I am not weak. However, I take decisive actions when there is no way to solve a problem because I don’t particularly appreciate hurting people. No matter what they do with me.

-          Interpersonal Communication and Social Media

Nowadays, we can communicate interpersonally with anyone on the Internet without meeting them. Or we can post something online, and friends, family, and others can also view it and respond on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Here, we have two types of communication. One is direct communication, which we use through WhatsApp, Messenger, Facetime, or email. Another one is we post some information now, and people may check it out or not view it at all. Here, we use Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram. I like both kinds of communication. Mostly, I use Facebook. I regularly post something on it.

I have started using social media by writing a blog, which is a part of Electronically Mediated Communication (EMC). That was a corporate blog from my job. Then, I started writing on my personal blog. Still, whenever I get time, I write blog posts. Nowadays, I mostly use Facebook. I like Facebook because, through this social media, I connect with my family (Most of them are in my home country), friends, classmates, colleagues (from different countries and different companies), online friends, and some followers. Without meeting with them, I can communicate and share my life (Photos, videos, and thoughts). Sometimes, we arrange to get together via Facebook. I know it could become my addiction and take all my time. So, I restricted myself from using Facebook all the time. I only sit to post and check others’ posts while having morning or evening tea.

It doesn’t mean I don’t like or do face-to-face communication. But everyone is busy, and I don’t know who will have free time when. Everybody on Facebook comes to their own flexible time and sends messages on my post. When I check, I reply.

Sometimes, I join my friends and family in face-to-face contact, and I enjoy those times most. But it has become rare, as it is challenging to make time to chat in person.

No comments: