Friday, December 17, 2021

Biography 101: School dress


 Our school dress was a gray top and white pyjamas. We didn't have any selected dressmakers. Everybody was free to make it from anywhere they want. Because of that, the good thing is there was no company that got an extra benefit to make all the dresses and the minus point was we didn't have the same coloured dress. Some made light gray, too light gray, normal gray, dark gray and too dark gray. We have seen some girls' dresses change their colour after washing a couple of times. I believe my one has the perfect gray colour.

My mom took me to New Market. She had a known tailor over there. It was a big tailor shop, I mean the shop size was big. Later mom found the tailor used to take a high rate compared to the market and also used to take 4/5 times more cloths to make dresses. Well, I have seen this always. Whoever, especially when salesmen say sweet words on mom and dad or on their kids, they trusted them with heart. They never cross-checked those people's information. Maybe that's why I always look at people's actions than words. Actions speak more truth.

My mom asked the tailor to make a school dress/frock for me. She also asked me, if I want anything else. I said yes, I want pockets in the dress. I don't know why women's dress doesn't have a pocket. Why do we always have to carry handbags?

The tailor had made two small pockets at the front of the frock. I use to keep my changes in it and handkerchief. Facial tissues were not available on those days. Now a day I always carry parse and keep facial tissues in a pocket of the parse.

Later one of our class teachers gave an address to a tailor by saying, it's not mandatory, but you guys can make dresses from this place. Then all will get the same coloured dress. A few of us went to that tailor. I already made mine, so I didn't take the address. Later I felt that they gave a poor quality fabric to the girls.

One day, maybe because of coaching classes for the scholarship, we had to stay longer time in the school. So, we went to the Bulbul Lalito Kola Academy (It was just beside our school) from school directly. On that day, we were wearing school dresses. I was in the singing class. One of our classmates asked another schoolgirl, why do you guys have different coloured school dresses? In my mind I replied, are you colour blind? Can't you see that we are all wearing gray?

No comments: