Thursday, December 9, 2021

Biography 98: Geography from kids storybooks


I use to read a lot of books. I have started my reading from Bangladeshi kid's books like "Thakur maar jhuli", "Thakur dadar jhuly" (In English "Story from the grandparents"). Most of the time I use to think about those characters, the princess, queen, king, monsters etc. Those stories were based on Bangladesh. They always told us that there was a kingdom or a village, after the village, a big open land (Like prairie) and at the end of that field there was a jungle. A deep jungle where we have tigers, monkeys, snakes. If I look at current Bangladesh, it has jungles. But there is no preirie land. People harvest everywhere. From those stories I can feel, there were more jungles in this country. My mom use to say, she has seen wild cats (In her language "Bagdasha") come to their house to take chickens. I don't think that is possible now.

When a writer writes a story, they just don't write about someone's life, they wrote about a place, its landscape, culture and so many things without any effort.

No comments: