Sunday, December 19, 2021

Biography 102: New headmistress


 When I have got admitted to the new school in grade 5, I heard the previous headmaster has left. This school appointed a new headmaster, who didn't start work yet. I have no issue with this news.

Our school's geometric design is in a way that when you will enter the school first you have to cross the headmaster's room then you can enter the school. So, every morning when I entered, I looked at the headmaster's room first. Looks empty, then I walk inside the school. One day I saw a new nameplate has been established at the top of the door. It was printed "Mrs. Shahedora Begum". So, now we have a name.

In Bangladesh, the new school year started in January (In Canada, September). It is the wintertime, and also yearly sports time. So, every day, kids used to join in several competitions to win prizes. If they are in sports, they don't need to stay in the regular classes. 

I had no interest in sports, but I was interested not to join the regular classes in school. So, every morning, after roll call, when some girls went to join the sports activity, I went out with them too.

Then actually I just enjoyed my free time in freestyle, sometimes I use to read books, not any school book, someday I just stood on the corridor and watch how girls doing sports, sometimes just walk around the school. I was just happy not to join the boring classes. 

One day I was standing in the corridor and watching sports, a woman came to me and asked "What are you doing?". In January, many girls use to join the school, so every day, I have seen some guardians come to school and talk with teachers. I assume this is a guardian too, and I became very annoyed with her curiosity. Just I replied, "I am a little busy with sports", then went down to the field. Didn't do much and came back to the class. I had a feeling I should stay in the class.

Later I got to know our new headmistress had started doing her job. She is a very strict person, a very angry woman and doesn't care who is in front of her, just scolds. No one can speak in front of her. The school changed in a day. All relaxed mood has gone. Everybody use to stay alert for her. No one knows when and how she is going to attack. 

Now I know, who caught me earlier and my sixth sense just saved me. One thing is for sure, good things don't stay long. Especially for me.

No comments: