Sunday, December 12, 2021

Biography 99: Handyperson


 When our parents were building our own house, they make sure the second floor (In Bangladesh we all called it the 1st floor or level 2) get prepared first. Because we were going to live there. Before the whole building (5 storied) was done properly, the second floor was completed and ready to live.

We had a red plastic basket. In those days, every family who has a kid used to have this kind of basket to keep toddlers staff. My mom put all the small items in it, that can be fitted in it. Then gave to me to carry to our new house, approximately two blocks away. I had to do this job several times a day, to complete the process to move to our new home.

I was mom's handy person. Whenever she needed anything to bring from the local grocery store she use to send me. Sometimes she woke me up from sleep and then sent me to the shop. Like to bring eggs, sugar etc.

We had a maid to washcloths. Then those were needed to put in the sun to dry. In Bangladesh, we don't use a dryer to dry clothes. So, I had to take them to the roof in a bucket to the 5th and then 6th floor (The roof of our new house), put them on the rope to dry and at the end of the day bring them back. Sometimes if rain comes I had to run to the roof and bring those back. I remember one day we had a new tenant on the 4th floor. They saw me carrying buckets of cloths to the roof, they thought I was the maid of the house, they wanted to ask me to clean their house too. But one of their family members recognized me as an owner's daughter, so that didn't happen.

When I grow up a little, my duty expanded to the post office too. Sending anything to the post office was my duty.

Then added giving bills. In Bangladesh previously we didn't have any choice to pay the bills online or through cell phone. We had to go to the bank. Different banks submit different utility bills. All was my job. I had to stand up hours in line to submit those.

You must be thinking, my parents like me a lot that I was their handy person. NO. I am always everyone's least favourite person. Well, when anyone needs any help they find me. They knew I will do anything to help them as much as possible. It's like you know you have a stupid to do all the jobs because an intelligent person won't work without any benefit. It won't mind. I have seen this attitude to all I know. All can't be wrong. Maybe this is my personality.

I have seen others who just said no when they were asked to do anything, but still people like them.

No, I don't want to bother how people treat me, I just do what needed to be done. To make things better. Either at home or a job or anywhere else. I never worry how much people appreciate it. I believe if anyone likes me they will like me without any effort.

Otherwise no matter how much I try, whatever I do, I can never be their first priority.

No comments: