Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Biography 97: Eid Celebration


 Eid Celebration is the biggest festival for Muslims and Bangladeshis. I have celebrated Eid in various ways according to my age, location, changing social cultures etc.

The Saudi Bangladeshi Eid was inviting Muslims from different countries who are friends, colleagues or neighbours. And make delicious festival Bangladeshi meals at home and enjoy dinner together.

In Bangladesh, I enjoyed it in a little different way. When I was a kid, parents use to let their kids play around the neighbourhood area. At least that was the given range of area to go around. Obviously, some kids maybe break that rule and parents never get to know about that. Especially boys. I never did. On Eid day my school friends (Girls) came to our house, they eat some festival sweets in a very small amount and take me with them. Then we all went to another girl's house and eat food and pick the girls. This way our group became bigger and we enjoyed different kinds of delicious food mainly sweets from all moms. We liked to do that and this was our kind of Eid celebration in that area. Now a day parents don't feel safe letting their kids go out without any adults. So, this culture is no more in our area.

In one Eid, my dad took us to "Shishu Park" an amusement park. To get on every ride we had to stand in lines for hours. My dad promised, he will never go out on Eid.

When my older sister started studying at the university, her friends were all around the city. She use to take rickshaws and visit her friend's house with me. I became her friend's friend too.

In my university life, I found many of my classmates are from different parts of Bangladesh. During the Eid vacation, they use to go to their parent's homes. So, we who were from Dhaka city used to meet on Eid day and eat homemade delicious festival meals.

When I have started to live on my own, I use to prepare some special dish and take it to my parent's house to celebrate Eid. My sisters also make something and contributed. It's a kind of potluck.

In Canada, I had made lots of different festival foods, so that my son can have the taste of Bangladeshi Eid. I invited friends and enjoyed the meal. And mostly I enjoy Eid putting Henna on my hand. Here, I mean in Canada for the first time I went to say Eid prayer in the Masjeed. In Canada, every masjeed has facilities for women. So, any woman can go to masjeed anytime to say prayers. I have also visited some of my friends' houses on Eid. They invited me to celebrate Eid.

No comments: